We all use electricity in the home to do all manner of things – from making a cup of tea to entertainment like playing computer games and watching the television, it is an essential part of modern life. However, because we are so used to using electricity for so long, it is easy to forget that electricity can be very dangerous and is a big cause of house fires.
Electrical safety is something that everyone should be aware of in order to reduce the risk of fire or electric shock and knowing what to look out for can help to keep you and your family safe from harm. Here are some of the things to look out for to help you keep your home safe…
Overloaded Sockets – With so much to plug in nowadays, it is easy to buy socket extenders that have more plugs attached to them. However, if you are doing this all over your home, it is likely that you could have a problem. In order to check if you are likely to have a problem, you can touch the plugs that are in the socket. If they are cool, then they should be fine.
Air Circulation – If electrical appliances overheat this is when they can pose a fire risk. In order to stop overheating, they are designed to be able to allow air to circulate and help to keep them cool. However, this only works if they have the space to do this. Covering the top of the microwave for example, will prevent air from circulating and it may get too hot and start a fire.
Damaged Cables and Wires – Keep an eye on all cables and wires in the home. Any that have been damaged or have exposed wires should not be used. It is a good idea to get a professional like this electrical testing Cheltenham based company https://www.blu-fish.co.uk/electrical-services-cheltenham/electrical-testing-cheltenham/ to check this out for you.
Electrical Devices Near Water – Water and electricity do not mix well and can be very dangerous – in the UK we do not have plug sockets in the bathroom for this reason. Always make sure that you have dry hands before touching anything electrical, even switching on a light switch with wet hands can lead to electrocution!
Leave a Reply